Following Atticus: Forty-Eight High Peaks, One Little Dog, and an Extraordinary Friendship by Tom Ryan is published by William Morrow. It tells the story of my adventures with Atticus M. Finch, a little dog of some distinction. You can also find our column in the NorthCountry News.

Monday, October 13, 2008

Atticus Update

Atticus saw Dr. O’Connell today. (I guess I could write it the other way around, too.) He was hesitant about going into the examination room but I think his opinion of that room has now changed since she took out the drainage tubes and scrubbed his neck for him – it’s been itching like crazy and he’s done his best not to scratch it, instead coming over to me to let me scratch it for him instead. He’s a good patient.

The doctor, who by the way has only been a vet since June (she was a vet tech before that), thinks he looks good and the wounds are healing. We’ll see her at the beginning of next week when she’ll take out the stitches.

Atticus and I are off to Newburyport tomorrow for a few mental health days. It will be good for him to see some warm and welcoming faces. In the last 48 hours we’ve received more than 200 emails from people wishing him well. Many of those emails live in Nbpt and will get to see him first hand.

Thanks for all the love and support, everyone!

2 comments:

LM said...

Tom,

Wow a lot happens when I don't check out your site in a while. Glad to hear Atticus is doing well. My dog once got this huge gash in his neck by complete accident from a leash clip. It was so long / deep you could see all the way in. You would of thought it would never heal. Anyhow it healed in time. I was amazed... I wish Atticus the BEST! See ya on a trail somewhere, someday soon...

Anonymous said...

Tom,
I was at the JFK last night and had a chance to get a quick pet with Atticus while he was making the rounds.
I have to tell you how much I enjoyed hearing you speak - you did a great job with having the crowd laugh, cry and cheer for the two of you.
I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you, but at least I got a pet from Atticus (which by chance is my neighbor's dogs name, and the dog across the street is Scout - notice a theme?)
Good luck,
Teresa
TereFang@aol.com