Following Atticus: Forty-Eight High Peaks, One Little Dog, and an Extraordinary Friendship by Tom Ryan is published by William Morrow. It tells the story of my adventures with Atticus M. Finch, a little dog of some distinction. You can also find our column in the NorthCountry News.

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Dogs Never Lie About Love by Jeffrey Moussaieff Mason

This was just sent to me and I think it’s wonderful. The following is from Jeffrey Moussaieff Mason’s book Dogs Never Lie About Love:

"I am not a religious man, and I pause before using the word soul. But my experiences with the dogs in my life, and now with Sash, Sima, and Rani, convince me that there is some profound essence, something about being a dog, which corresponds to our notion of an inner soul, the core of our being that makes us most human. In human animals, this core, I am convinced, has to do with our ability to reach out and help a member of another species, to devote our energy to the welfare of that species, even when we do not stand to benefit from the other - in short, to love the other for its own sake. If any species on earth shares this miraculous ability with us ...it is the dog, for the dog truly loves us sometimes beyond expectation, beyond measure, beyond what we deserve, more, indeed than we love ourselves."

No comments: