Following Atticus: Forty-Eight High Peaks, One Little Dog, and an Extraordinary Friendship by Tom Ryan is published by William Morrow. It tells the story of my adventures with Atticus M. Finch, a little dog of some distinction. You can also find our column in the NorthCountry News.

Monday, November 26, 2007

Dying on Mt. Washington

Today was supposed to rain so Atticus and I sat it out. I have another reason not to hike today since I've been dealing with a balky calf muscle and I'd rather take the time to heal it up before winter starts. Once winter starts the pace and the schedule will be quite hectic. One doesn't hope to get through 96 peaks in 90 days without such a schedule. It is especially so when you consider all the days that will be lost to inclement weather or deep snow. So while I stretch out my calf until Sarah George and Tom McFadden have a chance to work on it when we are back in Newburyport a week from this Friday, I'll share with you and interesting link to the Mountain Washington website. They have a page dedicated to the numerous deaths that have taken place on the mountain. To view this fascinating page click here.

No comments: