Following Atticus: Forty-Eight High Peaks, One Little Dog, and an Extraordinary Friendship by Tom Ryan is published by William Morrow. It tells the story of my adventures with Atticus M. Finch, a little dog of some distinction. You can also find our column in the NorthCountry News.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

What's With The Trees?

Today we hiked Mt. Tecumseh. (That's the summit above in the video.) It is the shortest of the 4,000-footers, sharing that distinction with Isolation, with a height of 4,003 feet. However, the hike to the summit of Tecumseh is only 2.2 miles while the hike to aptly named Isolation is more than 7 miles. For most, being the shortest in height and trip distance, Tecumseh can be an afterthought. But for me, well, I've always enjoyed this summit. There's something special about this mountain. Tecumseh was my first winter hike ever and I had an unforgettable summit experience on that day. And that is why these trees on the summit mean something to me. It goes to show you that each of these great mountains, no matter how "small" they are compared to the others, have the ability to touch us.

No comments: