Following Atticus: Forty-Eight High Peaks, One Little Dog, and an Extraordinary Friendship by Tom Ryan is published by William Morrow. It tells the story of my adventures with Atticus M. Finch, a little dog of some distinction. You can also find our column in the NorthCountry News.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The Tease Continues...





I promise, the story is coming. But here's a little preview that is a story in itself. Atticus, myself and another friend are on our way down Mt. Pemigewasset when we come upon this little mouse (okay, okay, it's a vole), which I called Templeton. I pulled out some cheese, offered it to the little fellow (I think it was a fellow but to be honest I didn't look and didn't ask...some things you just don't ask), and he took it. After sitting around just watching Templeton eat the cheese I moved to suddenly and the little fellow scurried, not away, but towards the dog breed known as a rodent killer. And notice, if you will, what Atticus does as Templeton seeks refuge between his legs. Well, that's right, he doesn't do anything to the little fellow. I found this interesting that these two creatures ignored their natural instincts and all this took place. A couple of minutes passed and eventually we were on our way, no dead mouse, no guilty dog, just a nice little interaction between God's creatures: man, mutt, and mouse. (Okay, vole.) But that's still not the story. You'll have to wait until later in the morning.

No comments: